Wadleigh Library’s 3D printer (MakerBot Replicator II) is available for public use! The MakerBot Replicator II has a build volume of 410 in3 (11.2 L x 6.0 W x 6.1 H in) / 6691.0 cm3 (28.4 x 15.5 x 15.2 cm) and uses PLA filament. Visit the library to see available filament colors.
Basic Instructions (downloading & printing a ready-made file)
- Go to thingiverse.com*
- Find an item you think you would like to print
- Select “download this thing”
- Select the file with the extension “.stl”
- Download the “.stl” file to a USB drive
- Bring in the drive; we will load the file into Makerware
- We will give you an estimated amount of build time and an estimated cost.
*Thingiverse offers the largest selection of free 3D files. Other sites where you can download 3D print files include Cubify, Cults3D, Libre3D, MyMiniFactory, Pinshape, Repables, & Youmagine. Some of these sites require you to create a login in order to download, and not all of the designs are free. You can also visit Yeggi to search across multiple sites for 3D printable designs.
Advanced Instructions (printing a file you have created)
- Bring in your 3D file (.stl, .obj, or .thing file format) on a portable memory device to the Circulation Desk during regular library hours. Files can be created using any Computer Assisted Drawing (CAD) program (examples of free CAD programs include 3Dtin, Tinkercad, Sketchup, OpenSCAD, Sculptris, Autodesk 123D, Blender, POV-ray, FreeCAD, HeeksCAD, Art of Illusion). Pre-made digital design files can also be found on sites like Thingiverse.
- Fill out a form at the front desk. You will be able to choose the PLA color for your print.
- We will print your item during open library hours only. If you submit your job late in the day, it will not be printed on the same day unless there is enough time before the library closes.
- We will ready your file in Makerware before printing. This allows us to see if there are any errors in the file and to estimate build time and size, and we can also give you a price estimate at this time.
- We will call you when your item has been printed. Items may be picked up at the Circulation Desk.
- Cost: Builds in standard colors will be charged at $0.20/gram. Builds in non-standard/specialty filaments will be charged at $0.40/gram. The object will be weighed upon completion to determine final cost. Users will be charged for rafts and supports associated with the build. Item must be paid for at the time of pickup.
- Items not picked up within one week become Library property.
Do you have other questions? Ask us!
You can also read our 3D Printer Policy.