Students should read one of the following books. Click here to see all Grade 6 summer reading books in our catalog.
- Secrets of the Sphinx – James Cross Giblin
- Case Closed?: Nine Mysteries Unlocked by Modern Science – Susan Hughes
- Extreme Scientists: Exploring Nature`s Mysteries from Perilous Places – Donna M. Jackson
- Look Up! Bird Watching in Your Own Backyard – Annette LeBlanc Cate
- Ellington Was Not a Street – Ntozake Shange
- The Book of Time – Guillaume Prevost
- The Glory Field – Walter Dean Myers
- The Dreamer – Pam Munoz Ryan
- Secret of the Andes – Ann Nolan Clark
- Bound – Donna Jo Napoli
- When my Name was Keoko – Linda Sue Park
Students should read 1 selection from at least 3 genres below. All poems and short stories below are available to read online. Copies are also available at the library.
|Fable||Oscar Wilde||“The Happy Prince”|
|Parable||Judith Ortiz Cofer||“Aunty Misery”|
|Poetry||Robert Frost||“Ghost House” (summer)
“The Road Not Taken” (autumn)
“Good Hours” (winter)
|Narrative Poem||Robert W. Service||“The Cremation of Sam McGee”|
|Non-Fiction||Jane Addams||“We’ve Got a Job: The 1963 Birmingham Children’s March”|
|Fantasy||Patricia Wrede||“Enchanted Forest Chronicles” (series)|
Students should read one of the following books. Click here to see all Grade 8 summer reading books in our catalog.
- Flygirl – Sherri L. Smith
- Homeboyz – Allen Lawrence Sitomer
- Lizzie Bright & the Buckminster Boy – Gary D. Schmidt
- So Far from the Bamboo Grove – Yoko Kawashima Watkins
- Speak – Laurie Halse Anderson
- Travel Team – Mike Lupica
- Truesight – David Stahler Jr.
- When My Name Was Keoko - Linda Sue Park