Overdrive audiobooks, available from the NH Downloadable Books Consortium, will work on most Android and iOS devices. Be aware that while .mp3 format audiobooks are compatible with most devices, .wma audiobooks are only compatible with Windows devices.
For devices that allow apps:
- Go to the app store on your device. The Overdrive App is free to download.
- Select “Get Books.” After you enter your zip code, choose your library.
- The NH Downloadable Books Consortium page will appear. Selecting the person icon will bring you to your account so you can sign in.
- When you find an available audiobook you would like to checkout, select “Borrow.” If the book is currently checked out, you may “Place a Hold.” Or tap the bookmark icon (it looks like a gray ribbon poking out of the bottom of the book cover) to add this title to your Wish List.
- Be sure to choose the .mp3 format when you download.
- Select the Bookshelf icon to see your newly downloaded book.
For devices that require a USB transfer:
- You will need to download Overdrive Media Console for your computer. From the NH Downloadable Books Consortium webpage, click on Help (next to the Account icon), then click on Applications, and look under Software.
- Browse the NH Downloadable Books Consortium, either from your computer or from your device.
- When you find an available book you would like to checkout, select “Borrow.” If the book is currently checked out, you may “Place a Hold.” Or click the bookmark icon (it looks like a gray ribbon poking out of the bottom of the book cover) to add this title to your Wish List.
- Click “Download,” making sure you select the correct format (.mp3 or .wma).
- Follow the instructions from your web browser to open the downloaded file in Overdrive Media Console.
- Download all the parts of the audiobook. This may take a while.
- Once the audiobook has completely downloaded, you can listen to it on your computer, transfer it to a compatible player, or, in some cases, burn it to CDs.
Tip: A great feature of the new website is located in the upper right-hand corner of each book cover. You can quickly tell if the item is an eBook or an audiobook (eBooks have a book icon, audios have a headphones icon), and just as quickly see if the title is available – available titles will have a black icon, checked out titles will have a grayed-out icon.
Tip: I like to check the NH Downloadable Books website weekly and add new titles I’m interested in to my Wish List. That way, when I’m looking for an available book to check out, I have a list of all the titles I want to read and can easily see which ones are available. To add a title to your Wish List, click or tap on the gray bookmark poking out from the bottom of the book cover. Titles you have already added to your Wish List will have a red bookmark. To view your Wish List, select “Lists” under your account.
The New Hampshire Downloadable Books blog also has many troubleshooting tips if you have more questions after you’ve read this page. Check out this post about downloading audiobooks if you are having trouble.